The beauty of natural balms
Date Posted:12 November 2017
Want to know the best things about a beauty balm?
This one little pot of goodness can be used for just about anything. It is the perfect all-rounder, making it an essential natural beauty product for your hand bag. Its versatility also means it is perfect for traveling or camping when your luggage must be light. A good natural balm can replace the need for lugging around a whole heap of different natural skin care products, which comes in handy when space is limited.
Here are some examples of how you can use a balm
- Rub on dry skin to deeply nourish and protect
- Soothes itchy and irritated skin
- Soothes nipples for breastfeeding mum
- Soothes nappy rash for unhappy babies
- Make up remover
- Relieves and heals eczema
- Can be used to nourish the hair, scalp and even on beards
- Use on scars and stretch marks to reduce the appearance
- Nourish chapped lips
- Use as a highlighter on the checks and cupids bow (peak of the lips) before applying your organic make up
- Use as an after sun skin healer
- Rub into cuticles to nourish and prevent cracks and hang nails
- Rub into the soles of the feet to prevent dry and cracked heels and balls of the feet
- Rub on the pulse points (neck and inside of wrists) for fragrance, if using a balm with essential oils.
So what makes a balm?
Starting with a base, usually beeswax, shea butter or cocoa butter – sometimes all three. The ingredients are naturally nourishing to the skin and contain essential fatty acids to deeply hydrate. The beauty of a balm is that at room temperature it is solid, making it more convenient than an oil or lotion to carry around (which can easily spill). It is also less prone to oxidation (unlike an oil), meaning you can keep in in your hand bag without fear of it going rancid. To make the balm extra special, essential oils and anti-oxidants can be added. This will make the balm much more versatile, as it now becomes a fragrance and offers greater healing properties to the skin.
Our top 5 balms
- JAK Organics Soothe Pot with Virgin Coconut Oil & Pure Botanicals - Due to the high levels of essential fatty acids, this little pot of goodness containing natural and organic ingredients will protect your skin from premature ageing, will work to re-generate healthy skin cells whilst leaving it hydrated, nourished, and youthful.
- Passionate Skin Care Vegan SkinFood with Manuka Oil - Skin Food with manuka oil combines a selection of natures most healing plants with the addition of ethically sourced bees wax, deeply hydrating your skin while naturally balancing sebum, reduced scars and markings.
- The Physic Garden Natural Sleep Balm -
- aid congestion, stuffiness, inflammation and improve breathing.
- Simple As That Vegan Vapour Rub Baby - Whilst the baby vapour rub containst the same quality ingredients as Simple As That Vapour Rub Adult, it has been formulated at half the adult strength for precious, newborn skin.