How to make my home more eco-friendly?
Date Posted:15 November 2020
If you’re looking to live a more sustainable life then you’ve come to the right place. Eco friendly living doesn’t need to be tough. With so many great eco products on the market, choosing eco friendly products in Australia has never been easier.
How can disposal of garbage be made eco-friendly?
Did you know that the average garbage bag takes about 10-20 years to decompose? Biodegradable and compostable bin liners take about 3-6 months to decompose, helping to significantly reduce landfill waste.
How do I make my laundry more eco friendly?
By using a chemical free laundry detergent, you can have a profound impact on preserving the health of our water ways and aquatic life. The average laundry detergent contains an array of synthetic chemicals that are released into the grey water system where they can have substantial environmental impacts and even kill an entire aquatic ecosystem. Eco friendly cleaning products in Australia are easy to find, and there a many natural laundry liquids or bars that wont pollute our waterways such as Koala Eco and Ethique.
What are the most environmentally friendly fabrics?
Bamboo – The bamboo plant is fast growing, making it a renewable and sustainable resource. Bamboo is also 100% biodegradable.
Linen – Linen is made from plant flax and requires fewer pesticides than other plants, making it a good choice for a natural, eco-friendly fabric.
Hemp - The hemp plant requires less water than other plants and provides more fabric per square foot. Producing hemp has the least amount of carbon footprint compared to other natural fabric sources, making hemp an environmentally friendly fabric.
Cotton - Organic cotton is non-GMO, biodegradable and is preferable over conventionally grown cotton as it is grown without pesticides.
What are some good examples of Sustainable Living?
Living an environmentally friendly life doesn’t have to be hard. Here are some simple swaps for sustainable products in Australia:
- Swap plastic wrap for reusable food wraps
- Swap plastic produce bags for reusable produce bags
- Swap plastic shopping bags for canvas bags
- Keep some reusable coffee cups on hand to avoid single use cups
- Pack your lunch in a bento box and keep reusable cutlery on hand
- Swap your laundry powder for a chemical free alternative
- Swap your dish soap for eco friendly dishwashing products
- Swap your household cleaners for eco friendly cleaning products
What is the easiest way to be environmentally friendly?
As well as reducing waste, recycling is an easy way to be more environmentally friendly. There are lots of different items that can be recycled, such as soft plastic, toothpaste tubes and bread tags. Make sure not to dump them all in your standard recycle bin though, they each have their own collection bins.
What can I do to help the environment as a teenager?
- Create some categorised recycling bins for your home, this way you can recycle so much more than just plastic and glass
- Start using some cheap eco friendly products such as shampoo and soap bars
- Switch your aerosol deodorant to a roll on, or even better, a natural deodorant stick
- Start using eco friendly coffee cups and water bottles for take-away drinks
- Ask for sustainable products for your Christmas gifts this year
- Shop at an eco friendly store instead of major retailers