Benefits and uses of lavender essential oil
Date Posted:11 March 2018
Lavender is used in many formulations due to its ability to assist in many ailments. As a pure essential oil, lavender not only smells divine, but has a number of beneficial properties.
What is lavender oil good for?
A good therapeutic grade lavender essential oil is a staple for your oil collection, as it is good for so many things! 100% pure lavender oil is very versatile and can be used a number of different ways. Whilst the more traditional uses of lavender includes aromatherapy oils, lavender has also been used in many cosmetic products including body lotions, body scrubs, bath soaks, natural deodorants and even hand sanitisers.
Lavender oil uses
- As a natural calmative – a few drops of lavender oil on the skin, in an oil burner or on your pillow works by stimulating alpha brain waves via aromatherapy to increase feelings of calm. Alternatively, enjoy a bath with SALT by Hendrix Lavender & Hibiscus Soak Infusion before bed or relaxing massage with Riddells Creek Organic Bath and Body Oil, containing lavender essential oil.
- Anti-stress and anti-anxiety – therapeutic grade essential oil can be taken internally or used as aromatherapy to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. You could also have a cup of Organic Merchant French Lavender Earl Grey Tea, which is infused black tea with a French bouquet of lavender and rose.
- As a sleep remedy – as lavender has a mild sedative action, it can be used before bed to help sleep onset and quality. Black Chicken Remedies Pyramid is filled with the purest lavender to relieve nervous tension and insomnia.
- As a natural anti-bacterial – a few drops of pure lavender essential oil in warm water can be used to wipe down and disinfect surfaces. You can also add a few drops to a spray bottle along with water, lemon and bicarb soda for a natural and chemical free bath and shower cleaner.
- As a natural anti-fungal – filling a sock with rice and a few drops of lavender essential oil can help to remove moisture from shoes. The lavender will not only freshen the aroma, but will also serve as a natural anti-fungal.
Lavender oil for hair growth
Lavender essential oil for hair has been shown in clinical studies to increase hair growth when massaged daily into the roots. When applying oil directly to the skin or scalp, it is important to choose the highest grade oil, preferably organic lavender essential oil. Some shampoos and conditioners may contain lavender extract which can assist in healthy hair growth. Black Chicken Remedies Restorative Hair Oil and Scalp Treatment contains a mix of soothing essential oils including organic lavender oil, useful for hair growth-promoting properties as well as antimicrobial properties.
Lavender oil for acne
As lavender oil is naturally anti-bacterial, it can be used in skin care products to help combat bacteria on the skin which causes blemishes. It can also help to soothe red and inflamed skin present in acne. Natural face scrubs such as JAK Organics Natural Face Scrub is made with pure lavender petals, which help fight off the bacteria that causes infection. Many natural body lotions such as Acure Lavender Lotus Stem Cell Calming Body Lotion include lavender essential oil to help soothe the skin.
Lavender essential oil can also be applied neat using a cotton bud directly to a blemish. The oil will help to kill off nasty bacteria and can help to bring the blemish to head faster, reducing the length of time for healing.