5 Reasons to include face toner in your skincare routine
Date Posted:25 November 2018
Is a natural face toner missing from your skin care regime? If you have never used one before, here are 5 reasons why a face toner is important for glowing skin. As always, we recommend you use natural or organic toner wherever possible, without alcohol.
1. Remove excess makeup and grime
- After cleansing, there can often be residual makeup and grime that is not entirely removed during the process. By spritzing the face with a natural skin toner after cleansing and gently wiping with a cotton pad, any excess dirt or make-up will be effectively removed, reducing the potential for breakouts due to clogged pores. Now, you don't have to pay arm and a leg for it, however try to find a product that is natural and which doesn't contain any alcohol. Toner with alcohol content tend to dry out the skin even more, which in turn may contrinute to oily skin. Mt Retour Certified Organic Rose Hydrosol is only $14.95 or you can try Emma Organics Facial Mist for just over $15.
2. Balance the skin pH
- As part of the cleansing process, oils in the skin are removed. One important role of a toner is to restore the skin’s natural pH level. This helps to maintain blemish free skin, as the skin does not need to overproduce oil to try and compensate for the changes in pH. Sassy Organics' favourite toner is Vanessa Megan Rose Water Spray. Rosewater controls and balances sebum production, which makes this hydrosol perfect for both dry and oily skin. It also has the ability to balance and restore the skin's ph and helps tighten pores.
3. Tightens pores
- When washing the face, the idea is to use warm water and a natural cleanser to open up and clean out the pores. After this step, using a toner helps to close the pores, which not only improves the skin's appearance but also stops the moisturiser from clogging pores. Pour Every Bit Organic Rose Water into cotton wool and cleanse by gentle rubbing on the skin.
4. A deeper hydration post moisturising
- Rather than applying moisturiser onto dry skin after cleansing, applying after toning allows the moisturiser to penetrate the skin more effectively. Moist skin helps the cream absorb rather than simply sitting on the surface. The added bonus is that you will generally need less moisturiser when applied after toning versus on dry skin, making what can sometimes be an expensive item last much longer. Sassy Organics stocks osme of the best natural toners, which are chemical free, cruelty free and vegan. We don't believe that there is a need to incorporate animal by products into skin care.
5. To refresh
- Another benefit of a skin toner is that it can be used at any time to refresh and hydrate. During the summer months, spritzing the face with a toner throughout the day can be cooling and refreshing, while during winter months, a light spray can help to restore and balance skin that is feeling dry and tight from indoor heating. Best skin toner for after sun exposure is Zk'in Natural Hydrating Mist due to its key ingredients - brown seaweed extract, that has been clinically tested to help fight UV damage and improve skin moisture levels. Combined with organic aloe vera, this certified organic facial mist is a real skin saver and the perfect aid to keep your skin beautifully hydrated.
Best toner for dry skin
If you are looking for a toner for dry skin, choosing an alcohol free formula is a good place to start, as alcohol tends to dry out the skin even more. Natural ingredients such as aloe vera and rose water will help to hydrate and nourish dry skin. A rose hydrosol alcohol free toner is a perfect all-rounder. You could even say it is the best toner for combination skin and makes a wonderful toner for sensitive skin also.
Best toner for oily skin
A toner for acne prone skin may contain willow bark, an excellent natural anti microbial which can help to prevent bacteria buildup and breakouts. Witch hazel is another ingredient which may be used in a toner for oily skin as it helps to close the pores assisting at keeping impurities at bay.
How often should you use face toners?
You should use a toner every time you cleanse your face, which is usually twice a day (morning and night). However, you may also like to keep a toner spray in your handbag for spritzing through the day.