Sassy Organics recycling program with TerraCycle
Sassy Organics has partnered with TerraCycle to make recycling your empty products effortless. You can now send us any packaging that can’t be recycled through your regular recycling. The best part? You receive $10 in credit points to spend on your next order with us. Many make the mistake of assuming our empty toiletries can go into our regular household recycling. This simply isn’t true. The various materials used and the leftover product inside means it’s cheaper for the industry to make new beauty packages, than to recycle old ones. But the beauty industry alone creates 120 billion units of packaging a year – that’s a lot of empty products going to landfill to become plastic pollution.
TerraCycle is a social enterprise that provides modern recycling and waste-reduction solutions to both businesses and consumers. TerraCycle initially turned waste into plant food and fertilisers. It then expanded into other recycling programs – forming partnerships with many major companies across the US. In 2013, the enterprise launched in Australia and New Zealand, marking over 20 countries of operation. To date, TerraCycle has collected billions of pieces of waste across 21 countries and raised over 44 million dollars for charities worldwide.
How it works
1. First, check to see if your council already has a program to help locals recycle their empty personal care products.
2. If not, simply start collecting the empty products in a recyclable box – your original Sassy Organics delivery box works great.
Note: The products need to be as empty as possible. TerraCycle recommends cutting the packages or using a tool to scrape out as much product as possible. That said, you DON’T need to wash or rinse the packages – just be sure they’re fully empty.
3. Once you’ve collected a couple of months’ worth, or a full box, of packaging, write your name, phone number, email and address on a piece of paper and put INSIDE the box. This way we know who to give the $10 store credit reward too!
4. Tape up your box and send it to the following address:
Sassy Organics Recycling Program
PO Box 2665
5. Receive your confirmation email and your $10 store credit on your Sassy Organics account (don’t have an account yet? Create one here). If you have any questions send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re more than happy to help.
What CAN I send back for recycling?
- Mascara tubes
- Lip balm tubes
- Lip gloss tubes
- Hair gel tubes and caps
- Shampoo bottles and caps
- Eyeliner pencils and cases
- Concealer tubes and sticks
- Conditioner bottles and caps
- Shaving foam tubes (no cans)
- Hair spray bottles and triggers
- Hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Face soap dispensers and tubes
- Lotion bottles, tubes, dispensers, and jars
What CAN’T I send back for recycling?
- Aerosol cans
- Electronic items
- Perfume bottles
- Any bio-medical or bio-hazardous waste
- Nail polish bottles and nail polish remover bottles
- Any contents of packaging such as nail polish, lotion, soap or ointments
What happens with my empty products?
TerraCycle separates the empty products by type of material like plastic, glass, metals etc. Then it breaks these materials down and turns them into new products. Think picnic benches, kids’ playgrounds and garden bed boxes.
The following video shows the TerraCycle process.
1. Can I only send back products I bought at Sassy Organics?
No. We are happy for you to send fully empty packages from products you did not buy at Sassy Organics. That said, you must still ensure these aren’t packages you can recycle through your local council.
2. How much will it cost to send the items back?
Approximately $8.95, but the exact pricing must be confirmed at your chosen post office. The delivery cost will depend on where you live and the size of your parcel. As the products are empty and there’s no need for padding inside the box, the parcel will be light. Australia Post estimates shipping for light parcels to start at $8.95, but your local post office will tell you the exact price when you’re ready to ship.
3. How will I know my box of empties has been delivered?
You will receive an email from Sassy Organics. We will use the email you included (along with your name, address, and phone number) INSIDE the empties box. This email will also notify you of your $10 store credit reward.
4. How will I know I’ve got my $10 credit?
You will receive an email from Sassy Organics confirming we have received your products. In that email will be details on how to redeem your $10 store credit reward. You can also access this information when you log in to your Sassy Organics account via the website.
Sassy Organics is proud to be partnering with TerraCycle to make shopping all-natural and organic even more eco-friendly. We’re also excited to see how many packages the Sassy Organics community saves from landfill this year.
Thank you for doing your bit to save the planet and fight plastic pollution. Happy recycling!